gas safety measures

Rory has helped to launch the Gas Safety Trust’s awareness campaign at the House of Commons, Westminster, following the publication of a report that makes a number of recommendations to help reduce the number of fatalities from gas-related incidents. The report comes at a time when campers in Cumbria have been issued with warnings after a series of carbon monoxide poisonings in the UK. The Camping and Caravanning Club has also issued advice on the the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning in tents and camper vans, and Rory hopes to highlight this danger to the many who visit Cumbria on camping and caravanning holidays.

Rory  said: “I am delighted to support this incredibly important safety initiative. A man tragically lost his life recently in Barrow when he used a gas cooker to keep his camper van warm; he never woke up. This report highlights that members of the public are at risk from CO poisoning whether at home or on recreation activities, and this is obviously of huge concern to me. It’s imperative that consumers are made aware of best practice, to get their gas appliances serviced regularly, to get an audible CO alarm, and for those with chimneys to make sure they have them swept regularly. These things do not have to cost a fortune, but you cannot put a price on the safety of you and your family”. In the 12-month period between 1st July 2010 and 30th June 2011 there were 50-recorded incidents involving CO poisoning. Of the 105 people involved in these incidents, there were 25 fatalities and 80 injuries without fatal consequences – over three times as many fatalities as were reported in 2010.

Nigel Dumbrell, Head of Charitable Operations at the Gas Safety Trust says: “While deaths and serious injuries from CO exposure are relatively straightforward to record, the data does not reveal the extent of what might be termed ‘near misses’. The records do not capture information about the number of people who are unwittingly exposed to low levels of CO poisoning; levels that may cause long-term ill health, but go undetected.”

For a copy of the full report, please go to

Picture: Rory Stewart MP with Nigel Dumbrell of the Gas Safety Trust


Print Friendly and PDF