Former Constituency Issues

Cumbrian or London enquiries? 

Please note that Rory is no longer the Member of Parliament for Penrith and the Border, or the candidate for Mayor of London. If you are a Cumbrian or London constituent I have put some guidance below on how to contact someonw who may be able to assit with your enquiries.

Am I a constituent of Penrith and the Border?

Rory was MP for Penrith and The Border from 2010 to 2019. This includes the towns of Penrith, Appleby, Kirkby Stephen, Longtown, Brampton, Alston and Wigton. A map showing the full scale of Penrith and The Border can be found here. Parliamentary protocol prevents MPs from representing individuals outside of their own constituency, and whilst your new MP will be happy to put you in touch with your own MP, he will be unable to deal personally with your issue if you are not a constituent.  If you are unsure who is your MP, you can check by entering your post code on:

How can an MP help?

An MP can help on issues for which Parliament and central Government are primarily responsible, and this includes:

–       Tax
–       Hospitals and the NHS
–       Benefits, pensions, and national insurance
–       Immigration
–       School closures and grants

For many local issues however, it may be more appropriate to first contact your local councillor or Citizens Advice Bureau.

When should I contact someone else first?

For the below, you should first contact either your local council or your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau:

–       Council tax
–       Social services
–       Private problems, including problems with neighbours, landlords, employers, family, or companies who’ve sold you faulty goods
–       Decisions made by the courts
–       Day-to-day school problems
–       Dustbins or street repairs

District councillors are responsible for council housing, planning, rubbish collection, the local environment, and the administration of elections.

County councillors are responsible for education, transport and roads, fire, social services, and libraries.

You can find your local councillors, by entering your postcode on:

You can find your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau on: . The Citizens Advice Bureau provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.

What exactly does an MP do?

A member of parliament is a member of the national legislature, whose primary constitutional function is to vote on legislation. (Laws are passed if, and only if, a majority of MPs vote for them). Your MP is therefore generally in Westminster when parliament is sitting. As the member of parliament for Penrith and The Border, he represents the interests of his Cumbrian constituency in parliament, and to the national government. As a constituency MP he runs regular constituency advice surgeries in Cumbria, visits and supports Cumbrian businesses, charities, schools, community initiatives, and government services.

Is it possible to get a tour of Westminster?

Yes, and your MP should be pleased to arrange for constituents who are visiting London to have a free tour. Priority is given to schools and community groups, but any constituent can apply. To arrange a free tour please contact your Member of Parliament’s Westminster office. Capacity is limited and it is useful to have as much notice as possible. The most up-to-date information on tour dates can be found on the Parliament website: 

Is it possible to watch a debate in the House of Commons?

Yes, but it is advisable to apply for tickets in advance as otherwise it can often involve a long wait (often 1 or 2 hours). Details of how to apply for tickets are given on the Houses of Parliament web site:

Or alternatively you can also watch or listen to debates in the House of Commons and in Committees via the internet at: