Community

RORY PRAISES THE ROLE OF THE ARTS ON RHEGED EXHIBITION VISIT

Rory has praised the role of the arts in Cumbria on a visit to the Rheged Centre’s latest exhibition, which is staged in collaboration with the Victoria and Albert Museum. Woman’s Hour Craft Prize, which runs from 14 September – 28 October, showcases the shortlist of the inaugural Woman’s Hour Craft Prize, launched to celebrate […]

RORY CHAIRS MEETING TO DISCUSS ‘UNSAFE’ BRUNSTOCK BY-PASS

Rory has met with Brunstock residents to discuss the community’s road traffic problems. The town is located near to a five junction stretch of road from the Linstock roundabout to Greymoor Hill. Increases in the number of vehicles, compounded by the use of large agricultural vehicles, have led to rising congestion and a serious increase […]

WEATHER IMPACT ON PENRITH AND THE BORDER

“For the majority of my constituents, this has been a terrible week in which many have suffered. Entire communities have been stranded, some households have been without electricity and light, and in severe cases farmers are suffering the significant loss of stock at one of the most important times of the farming calendar, just as […]

CUMBRIA’S INDUSTRIAL IDENTITY – HERALD COLUMN 6th JANUARY 2018

For many decades, Cumbrian planners have tried to create economic growth by backing large Cumbrian industries. This is understandable because our industrial revolution was a miracle. The slow growth of our traditional rural economy, celebrated by Wordsworth, was blown apart in the second half of the nineteenth century, as we tore into the land, extracting […]

Politics: A Dozen Small Things

Article first published in the Cumberland & Westmorland Herald on 1 December 2017 When I lived outside Britain, I felt that the greatest problem in Britain was injustice. Once I became a ‘parliamentary candidate’ I began to feel that the problem was that government was completely out of touch with reality on the ground, and […]

RORY PRAISES RESILIENCE OF RICKERBY RETREAT

Rory Stewart MP last week paid a visit to the Rickerby Retreat, to meet with Spa Manager, Amy Bristo, and to look at how the spa and restaurant was recovering following damage sustained during Storm Desmond in 2015. The family business, owned and run by Rachel and Daniel Ferguson was launched in 2014 and was only […]

RORY WELCOMES £1.3 BILLION BOOST TO NATIONAL SCHOOLS BUDGET

Rory has welcomed the announcement that there will be an additional £1.3 billion dedicated to schools funding over the next two years – helping to create more school places in Penrith and The Border, and more funds for headteachers to continue the important work they do in educating Penrith and The Border’s children. Rory commented […]

RORY STEWART PRAISES ROUTE 66 PROJECT

Rory Stewart recently held an informal meeting with Director of Eden Arts – Adrian Lochhead and Eden District Council Leader – Kevin Beaty, to discuss ‘Cumbria Route 66’ – an exciting Eden Art’s project that aims to increase tourism to sites of cultural significance along the A66. Cumbria Route 66 is an identity for mid-Cumbria […]

PENRITH AND THE BORDER’S COMMUNITY HOSPITALS

Prior to yesterday’s announcements all Cumbrian MPs were briefed by the Success Regime about the future of Cumbria’s community hospitals and the implications for in-patient beds. Rory Stewart said: “I have pushed consistently for the retention of beds in our community hospitals. I have also pushed consistently for the regime to engage with our Leagues […]